Site History
Contacts

Eric Johnson, PhD, PG,
Senior Technical Manager
WSP
T: 703-709-6500
E: eric.johnson@wsp.com

Steve Clarke
Vice President, Environmental Affairs and Real Estate
Emerson Electric Co.
T: 314- 553-1953
E: Steve.Clarke@emerson.com

Richelle Hanson
Project Manager, Voluntary Cleanup Program
Maryland Department of the Environment
T: 410-537-3493
E: richelle.hanson@maryland.gov

Site History

The facility was constructed on previously undeveloped land in 1969 by Koppers Company, Inc. In 1986, an employee group purchased the company from Koppers and formed the company that would later become Kop-Flex, Inc. (Kop-Flex). In 1996, Emerson Electric Co. (Emerson) acquired Kop-Flex. Kop-Flex manufactured flexible couplings for the mechanical power transmission industry. Universal joints, gear spindles, forgings, and power transmission components were produced at the plant from 1979 until manufacturing operations at the facility ceased in late 2012. After shutting down production activities, the facility was fully decommissioned and vacated. In December 2014, the property was transferred to EMERSUB 16, LLC, a subsidiary of Emerson, in preparation for Emerson’s sale of the business that included Kop-Flex. In February 2016, the property was sold to a third party, TC Harmans, LLC, the predecessor-in-interest to Harmans Road Associates LLC, which has redeveloped the property as a commercial warehouse facility.

For additional information on the onsite and offsite environmental conditions and response actions, please review the Public Informational Meeting Presentation.